Cellulite is a fear of many women. While some accept it as a natural part of the aging process, others seek out any means of getting rid of it, including creams, natural remedies and strict dieting. Many associate cellulite with being overweight or obese. However, anyone can develop cellulite. It is important to understand the biological cause of cellulite to know your best option for minimizing the appearance of it.
Cellulite is a term that refers to the lumpy, dimply appearance of skin in areas with increased fat deposits underneath the skin. Cellulite is most often found on the stomach, thighs and butt of an individual. While 90 percent of adult women will develop it at some point, according to ManageCellulite.com, it is rarely found in men. It is not related to obesity because women of any shape may develop cellulite.
Cellulite develops because of the specific makeup of the skin, fat and connective tissue in the area. As an individual ages, the connective cords that connect the underlying muscle with the skin become less elastic. Between the muscle and skin is a layer of subcutaneous fat. When the fat layer accumulates more fat in the area and the cords are unable to stretch to make room for the fat, you develop the appearance of dimples. The dimply appearance is formed as the excess fat pushes up against the skin and the cords hold the skin back in certain areas.
While weight gain does make cellulite more noticeable, cellulite is also found in individuals who are not overweight. According to MayoClinic.com, genetics plays a large role in whether an individual gets cellulite and its extent. Dealing with stress on a daily basis, having an inactive lifestyle and the use of hormonal contraceptives are also risk factors for developing cellulite.
Cellulite is not frequently found on the calves, but it is possible. Butt, stomach and thigh cellulite is easy to cover up with clothes. However, if you live in a warm weather area and enjoy wearing dresses or shorts, this may be an area of cellulite you want to target. The best way to lose cellulite on your calves is to lose weight through diet and exercise. There is no way to target just the fat on your calves. Excess fat on calves will come off as your body begins losing fat overall. The fat will come off in specific places first, depending on how your body stores fat, which is based on your genetics.
Toning your calf muscles may help to diminish the appearance of cellulite. To tone the calf muscles, perform exercises that target the calf muscles a few times a week and focus on sets of 15 to 20 repetitions.
Begin with the simple standing calf raises. These may be performed on a step or on level ground. The calf raises on a step will allow for a larger range of motion. To do the calf raises on a step, place one foot on a small step and hang the heel of the foot off the step. Bring your opposite foot to hang behind your left heel. Hold onto a steady object to help your balance. Raise your heel up by pushing off with the forefoot on the step. Lower the heel to bring it slightly below the step. Repeat motion for desired repetition range. Switch feet and repeat for the opposite leg.
Lose Weight. Feel Great! Change your life with MyPlate by LIVESTRONG.COM
Increasing numbers of people, particularly women, are unhappy with the size of their calves and are many are seriously considering calf reduction surgery. However, there are other, less invasive, means than calf reduction to slim down calves. Find out what causes large calves and what you can do to lose weight and slim calves.
1. Keep your heels down and avoid walking on the ball of your foot.
2. RUN to slim calves and reshape legs.Running is a powerful tool that allows you to slim down your legs and calves. Think about the physique of short- and long-distance runners. Endurance runners usually have thin legs, as opposed to sprinters who have very well developed calves and thigh muscles. Sprinting develops the calves, but endurance running does not and will in fact slim down calves. Run slower, but for longer distances (endurance running). To slim down your legs, slim thighs and calf muscles, do endurance cardio with little to no resistance. That means running on flat terrain when outdoors or keeping the resistance/ incline low on the cardio machines in the gym. This will slim down your legs and slim down your calves, while keeping your legs firm and shapely. Endurance running can reduce the size of the actual calf muscle and reduce the fatty tissue around it (and everywhere else), that is making the calf look bulky. Put simply, it helps you lose fat from calves and it helps reduce muscle mass.
3. Avoid activities that primarily call for strength, power and speed from your legs muscles, as they will create bigger bulkier muscle. For example, short intense cardio workouts, workouts that require strength and exercises that involve resistance, incline or going up hills. Steep inclines on the treadmill particularly and hill running will develop calves and make big calves even larger.
4. Avoid high-impact jumping movements, such as rope jumping. Swimming, walking, cross-training and the elliptical trainer are great to slim down calf muscles. The elliptical trainer is an excellent tool for low-impact cardio. However, keep the resistance on the low. Instead of burning calories by increasing resistance, exercise for longer periods. Walking slims down the lower legs as it lengthens the muscles between the back of the knee and the ankle.
5. Avoid the step machine and other types of climbing exercises, as these type of exercises target the calf muscles to increase size. Remember, your goal is to lose bulky calf muscle, i.e. to slim it down, not make to big calf muscles bigger.
6. Resistance Training. You can either avoid training this area completely or if you prefer use light weights and high reps. Resistance exercises that target the calf muscles will tend to increase the size of the calf muscle – not slim down calves.In other words, resistance training is more likely to give you big calves, than make your calves smaller. Remember there is no such thing as spot reduction. If you need to lose fat around your calf muscles you can only do so through diet, cardio or even liposuction of calves. But you cannot do exercises that will reduce the fat around the calf muscles alone.
7. Stretching makes big muscles appear longer and leaner.Stretching lengthens bulked-up muscles. You could try stretching classes, yoga or Pilates. A great stretching exercise for the calf muscles is a wall push-up. Stand with your front foot approximately one foot from a wall and your back foot about three feet from a wall. Your back leg should be straight, the front leg bent and your hands resting against the wall, while you lean forward. Your feet should be pointing straight ahead and your heels on the ground. Hold for 15 – 30 seconds, switch legs and repeat. You should feel the stretch in the back of your leg. This stretching exercise should help lengthen calves.
8. Pilates is an excellent tool to shape and elongate your calves, legs and body.
9. Ankle circles moves:Sit on a chair, with your back straight and firmly against the back of the chair. Slowly circle your left foot clockwise. Do this six times. Then repeat counter-clockwise six times. Repeat the exercise with the right foot.
10. Find out the causes of big calves:Find out why you have large calves and address the cause.
12. Learn about how to slim down legs.
13. VISUAL IMPACT. Check out Visual Impact for Women (there’s also Visual Impact for Men). If you need to reduce inches – fat or muscle – or feel you are overly muscular it is certainly is worth investigating. The author tackles the issue of wanting to get fit and lean without getting big or bulky head on. The program specifically addresses the problem of being overly muscular and takes it seriously; offering a strategy that encompasses diet, cardiovascular exercise and resistance training aimed at reducing – not gaining – inches. In chapter 1 the author has this to say:
“Sick of hearing that it impossible for you to gain too much muscle because you don’t have enough testosterone? I will discuss that and other myths told to women on a consistent basis.” Visual Impact for Women also has solutions on how to decrease muscle mass, if you feel you are too bulky. Here’s a description from one of the chapters (Chapter 19: How to Lose Muscle Mass on Purpose) of Visual Impact for Women:
“Legions of women have muscular thighs and calves that they would like to make slim and defined. This is common especially with women who have been given poor training advice. Despite this being a taboo subject, I’m going to give you a strategy that works.”
Next, page 2 >> causes of big calves
Or, check out how to get slim legs
I am overwhelmed by my results at this point, and I just had to let you and your wonderful staff know that you have changed my life. I would call this procedure the best money I’ve ever spent…”
The calves and ankles make up one of the more challenging areas to perform liposuction on, as the liposuction specialist must essentially shape the whole lower leg, all the way around from the knee to the ankle, to achieve a well-shaped contour. Women interested in liposuction of the calves and ankles have tried working out with targeted exercises, but to no avail. The calves and ankles are very hard areas to lose fat and sculpt shapely calves with diet and exercise alone.
Much like women who have problems with their hips and refer to the fat deposits as “saddlebags”, women lacking calf definition and large ankles say they dislike their “cankles.” For these women, they feel embarrassed by the fat deposits and hesitate to wear high heels. For others, they can’t find boots to fit because their calves are too big or don’t want to wear shorter skirts or dresses.
Expert liposuction of the calves can reduce the bulky look and results in slimmer and more tapered lower legs. View Dr. Amron’s exceptional results by viewing the before and after photos of actual patients.
Appropriate Patient Selection Dr. David Amron will carefully examine your calves, starting from the knee crease all the way down the natural contour of the calf muscle. He will determine the amount of fat and the best areas to liposuction to achieve a more aesthetically pleasing calves and ankles.
Learn more about Dr. David Amron’s Precise Liposuction Technique and Philosophy.
Many less-experienced liposuction surgeons avoid this area. Like other areas, Dr. David Amron knows that correct placement of the incision points is crucial to a great result. The only way Dr. Amron has found it possible to be consistent without jabbing the skin from underneath is to place two upper incision points toward the posterior lateral, knee and two lower incision points toward the lateral ankle. This particular part of the body requires an extremely precise approach to achieve good results.
Our Patient Care Coordinator will thoroughly review liposuction procedure(s) fees following the consultation with Dr. David Amron (See our Financing/Payment Plans)
Dr. David Amron is pleased to offer patients a consultation. The first step to the body or shape you desire is to schedule a consultation to discuss your aesthetic goals and if liposuction of the calves and ankles will achieve these goals.
CHOOSE WISELY Dr. David Amron – Liposuction specialist… For a perfectly contoured you! CALL TODAY FOR YOUR CONSULTATION 424.394.1610
What are Ankles? It’s a term coined for excess fat that forms around the ankles. The word joins two words: calves and ankles. Excess fat around the ankles has a variety of causes, such as genetics or being overweight. While there is little you can do short of surgery if genetics is the cause, reducing ankle fat is possible if weight gain is the culprit. Lifestyle changes and exercise can help to shape your legs.
Effective Ankle Exercises for Women:
1. Wide Squat With Calf Raise:
How to do:
2. Calf Raise:
How to do: